Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Should I Stay or Should I Go

First, a belated Happy Pride, y'all.

It may be the curse of being in language training (ONE of the curses of being in language training?), that I just don't find myself writing here much. There isn't a whole lot to say about studying language: it is hard, testing sucks, hitting walls hurts. Rinse, repeat.

And so I have found myself not writing, even when there were things I could post...as I type I have at least three webpages up on events I should have covered.

So maybe I am bored. Or lazy. Or bored and lazy.

And I think about just not blogging anymore. Not taking the page offline, but just leaving it. So people can use the blogroll or any info they find useful in the blog.

This isn't the first time this has crossed my mind. Nine years is a long time for a blog.

But inevitably, as has happened every. single. time. I have considered quitting, I meet someone for the first time who tells me how helpful the blog was when they joined the service.

And I feel guilty (because I am a former Catholic, and are any Catholics really completely "former"?), and I stay.

And so it happened again this weekend, at Pride.



And so I am back. I am I will try to write more. And I will hope that I have something interesting and useful to say, especially once I get to Kosovo next month.

Or sooner, depending on SCOTUS.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Not to make you feel guilty but I check your blog every few days to see what you're up to. I learned a lot about FS life from binge reading your blog when I stumbled upon it last year around the time I took the FSOT. I just passed the OAs and started the waiting game so please keep writing to make the waiting go by faster. Thank you for taking the time to blog. I know it's hard.

Victor Garcia-Rivera said...

Michelle- I was the FSO who marched with you in the parade who told you what an inspiration your blog was. And I am glad to see that you are considering maintaining it, even on a limited basis. People ask me why I chose this career late in my life. I had trepidations as a gay man choosing the FS as a career earlier in my life, due to issues of discrimination. Your blog convinced me that the Department had made great progress on this issue, so I finally put my hat in the ring. Thanks for all that you do!